CSU student Macey Dodd stands in front of a ski hill
Macey Dodd

“Economics can offer relevant solutions to real-world problems.” —Macey Dodd

Economics appeals to many students because of its focus on numbers and models. However, for honors student Macey Dodd, of Parker, CO, it was an economics course on the environment that changed her perspective on everything.

“I took ECON 240 [Issues in Environmental Economics] with a very inspiring and engaging professor, Jo Barbier, and it introduced me to the branch of environmental economics, which I hadn’t previously known existed. Now I want to become an environmental economist in the future,” Macey said.

Macey is indeed drawn to the quantitative focus of the discipline—she has a second major in statistics and a minor in math, after all—but it was economics’ approach to addressing the climate change crisis that has set her on a path to eventually pursue graduate school in environmental economics.

Following her success in ECON 240, Macey was selected to be a Teaching Assistant in the course. She also decided to focus her honors thesis on policies to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, under the advisement of Dr. Barbier.

“Macey has produced excellent academic work, including an outstanding research project on ‘acidic oceans’ and an excellent honors thesis incorporating novel econometric analysis,” said Barbier. “She has also provided extensive support to other students in her role as Teacher’s Assistant for my ECON 240 class. By giving back to other students in this way, especially students with a non-economics background, Macey has set an exemplary example to future students interested in economics.”

In her senior year, Macey was selected for a research internship coordinated by Professor Martin Shields with the City of Loveland Economic Development Department. She also completed a statistics internship with the Blackwell Summer Scholars program at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.

Macey is currently serving on the executive council of the Economics Student Leadership Council (ESLC), the CSU chapter of Undergraduate Women in Economics (UWE), and Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. She is a member of Omicron Delta Epsilon and Phi Beta Kappa honor societies, and is a recipient of the Green and Gold Scholarship. Beyond her campus involvement, Macey is involved in the community as a volunteer for Children’s Hospital Colorado and CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates).

In Her Own Words

What inspired you to pursue a degree in economics?

I pursued a degree in economics because it is a social science and a hard science. I’m very interested in all of the different branches of economics such as environmental, health, and feminist economics. Economics is very relevant and can be applied to so many topics. I find economics to be very effective because it is quantitative, and I think it can offer relevant solutions to real-world problems.

What are your most important experiences or accomplishments at CSU?

I will be graduating with cum laude distinction and as a member of CSU’s Honors Program. My honors thesis is titled “Reducing Carbon Dioxide Emissions Through Policy Implementation,” and my advisor is Prof. Jo Barbier, who has been an invaluable mentor. I am a member of Phi Beta Kappa, the United State’s oldest and most prestigious honor society. I had a statistics internship through the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, and I had an economics internship through CSU in which I worked with Loveland’s Economic Development Department. I’m in a sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, and I have held an officer position for it, Archivist/Historian. I was the Outreach Officer for Undergraduate Women in Economics and I’m currently Vice President of Operations for the Economics Student Leadership Council. I also learned so much as a Teaching Assistant for ECON 240 Issues in Environmental Economics.

What advice would you give future economics majors?

My advice to future economics majors is to get involved in as many student organizations as you can, and to apply to internships and jobs, even the ones you don’t think you’ll get. It’s also very important to make connections with your professors and use all of the resources at your disposal, such as going to their office hours. If you think you might want to pursue graduate school in the future, ask your advisors and professors about any additional classes you should be taking to prepare for it.

What are your 3 “must-take” economics courses?

ECON 240 Issues in Environmental Economics: I took ECON 240 with a very inspiring and engaging professor, Jo Barbier, and it introduced me to the branch of environmental economics, which I hadn’t previously known existed. Now I want to become an environmental economist in the future. I find it very interesting, and it’s very relevant in the face of climate change.

ECON 211 Gender in the Economy: ECON 211 made me think about gender and social norms in a quantitative way, and it prompted me to consider my role as a woman in economics.

ECON 410 Labor Economics: ECON 410 explained many of the occurrences in the workforce and helped me apply economic knowledge.

What is your next step?

After I graduate, I will study abroad in Florence, Italy and I will pursue jobs relating to economics and statistics.

Get In Touch with Macey